The Bath and North East Somerset Green Party would look to promote diversity and sustainability within local communities. We would encourage a higher proportion of smaller businesses, especially those whose products and services directly serve the local community and bring economic, environmental and social benefit to the City.
To support this intention, we would:
- Where possible and appropriate, using the council’s powers, give preference to local employment for the design, development and implementation of regeneration initiatives for the city
- Encourage employers to commit to reduce their environmental impact through increased recycling, calculating and reducing CO2 emissions, improving building energy efficiency and educating their employees on practical measures they can take to reduce their personal and the organisation’s carbon footprint.
- Encourage employers to evaluate both the environmental and social impact of products, raw materials and services throughout their supply chains so that they have the necessary information to make informed decisions on how their organisations can contribute to a fairer, cleaner world for everyone.
- Adopt the use of fairly-traded products and resources, where possible.
- Focus on maximising employment opportunities for the most socially disadvantaged and vulnerable members of the community.